Sunday, November 13, 2011

Stephen Colbert, Ice Cream Genius

This year, I've changed the way I eat, and ice cream is not normally on the new menu.  In fact, one of the most significant changes I've made is to not eat dessert anymore.  For the most part, it sucks.  No other way to sugar-coat it.
Genius
I have lost over 20 pounds, however, and I'm back to my college weight.  I do still eat dessert, just much more infrequently.  Recently, I decided that I would have ice cream, with the kids, one Sunday afternoon, so I went to the frozen altar to unlock the sacred milk of Saint Ben and Saint Jerry, and there were 3 offerings to choose from: S'mores, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Americone Dream.  I tried all 3, of course.  I wouldn't want to anger the ice cream gods.

S'mores is a favorite of mine.  With desserts, anything with marshmallow or caramel or apples is going to draw my attention.  The toasted marshmallow shake, for example, at Stand in New York City, is a natural favorite and highly recommended if you are down near NYU or close to SoHo.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.  Yum.  'Nuff said.

And, this, Americone Dream...it had a picture of Stephen Colbert on it.  Puzzling, indeed.  So like a wild animal sniffing its kill as a safety measure, I read the label and noticed it had caramel in it, easing any fears, and I dug in.

What a magnificent concoction it was!  The mixture of the vanilla, fudge-covered waffle cone bits, and caramel were both a great mix of flavors as well as textures.  It actually got me thinking that although Mr. Colbert is quite popular on the television, he might be in the wrong line of work.

So, on this fine Sunday, go out to your local convenience store and pick up a pint (snack size, as my brother would say) or the several 3.6 ounce tasting samplers, and try it for yourself.  It goes well with football.

No comments:

Post a Comment