Saturday, October 8, 2011

When Smartphones Were Not So Smart

I remember back in 1998, when I first made the leap from the computer industry to mobile, I had advanced visions for what smartphones were going to be able to do.  I did not apparently have as much patience.

During the first years of starting the OMAP business at Texas Instruments, I remember talking to colleagues and press about a scenario where I could hail a taxi with a single click, while traveling, and the taxi would know where to pick me up, how to bill me, and how to contact me to confirm the service.  I could even have the equivalent to Dominos Pizza Tracker and know where the taxi was on its way to pick me up.  Needless to say, I'm still waiting for this service.

Smartphones actually live up to their name today, but there is so much room for innovation.  Just as I look back at 1998 like the Stone Age, we will look back at our iPhones and apps, in 10 years, and be amazed at how crude they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment