Sunday, October 16, 2011

Top 5 Desserts in Dallas

It's Sunday.  Time to get serious about food.  The topic: desserts.  The destination: Dallas.  Make a pub crawl of it.  You can't just eat one of them.

5. Quatro Leches - La Duni.  It's a classic in town.  Over the top.  We make good Tres Leches at home, although I often substitute rum for the last milk.  Dunia Borga uses a heavier cake, much like a pound cake, which holds up more after the soaking, and tops it with the world's most perfect merengue.

4. Bread Pudding - Salum.  I know.  You think your Aunt Louis from New Orleans makes the best Bread Pudding in the world, but your wrong.  Head to Abraham Salum's namesake, where his staff prepares a perfect bread pudding with the right consistency, at the right temperature, and tops it with creme anglaise, slices of toasted almonds, and fresh berries.

3. Blueberry Semifreddo - Local.  Tati made fun of me the first time I ordered it.  She has a thing about blue food.  Says it's not natural.  It's just so creamy, dreamy, yummy, you just need to go to Local, have a fabulous meal at Tracy Miller's quiet, cool locale, and save some room for dessert.  Tati tried it, under intense duress, and loved it.
2. Blueberry Buckle - Smoke.  More blueberries to drive Tati nuts.  So simple.  So well done.  Fresh blueberries, topped with a crumble top, baked, a nice dollop of firm, freshly made whip cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I'm drooling as I type.

1. S'mores Deconstructed - Stephan Pyles.  I don't know if this is a regular item, but we had it the last time we dined at Stephan Pyles, and it was awesome.  I will admit that anything that has any combination of marshmallows, caramel, or apples will always grab my attention.

And, an honorary pick that you can't get anymore, but will forever be my favorite:
0. Lace Cookie Taco - Star Canyon.  Again, simple, but exquisite.  A lace cookie, shaped like a taco shell, filled with freshly made whip cream and fresh berries with caramel lightly drizzled across the whole enchilada.  Oh, how I miss you, Lace Cookie Taco.
There.  Now, go out and eat some dessert.  Make me proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment